Are you looking for an exciting internship that will provide you with the skills necessary to help you obtain full-time archival employment? If so, the Newseum's Summer Archival Internship is for you!
The Newseum, a revolutionary 250,000-square-foot museum of news, offers visitors an experience that blends five centuries of news history with up-to-the-second technology and hands-on exhibits. At the Newseum, we pride ourselves on creating up-to-the minute exhibits and actively collecting modern and historic artifacts. As a Newseum intern you will work with our 35,000 piece historic print news collection at our state-of-the-art support center in Laurel, Maryland.
Internship hours are flexible and can be arranged to fit individuals' schedules. You will be a member of the small, dynamic Collections team and will be able to make an enormous contribution to the work we do. This is a wonderful opportunity to gain behind-the-scenes archival experience with one of Washington, D.C.'s most popular museums!
Intern responsibilities will include assisting the Newseum Archivist with the following tasks:
* Processing historic newspaper collections: re-housing, taking record shots, researching important news events, and cataloging newspapers in the newspaper database
* Identifying newspapers that need repair and conservation
* Retrieving and re-shelving archival materials, including the frequent handling and carrying of 20-40 lb. newspaper boxes
* Preparing newspapers for exhibition, depending upon exhibits schedule
* Candidates should be currently enrolled in or should have recently finished a museum-related, library science-related, or archival-related graduate or undergraduate program, with an interest in collections/archival work
* Excellent computer skills and accuracy in spelling and database entry
* Solid historical research skills and broad knowledge of, and interest in, U.S. and world history.
* The ability to frequently lift and carry 20-40 lb. boxes and lift, reach, and bend with ease.
* Must have dependable transportation to our Laurel, MD facility
Internships last for a minimum of 12 weeks and may be part or full time. This unpaid internship position is for college credit or experience only.
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com