Call for papers: Semantic Digital Library
A special issue of International Journal of Knowledge and Web Intelligence
Digital libraries focus on storing and organizing digital objects according to various scopes and facets. Intelligent access to these objects are provided through metadata/semantic-based or content-based search engine according to users’ requirements. Semantic services enhance the organization of digital objects to facilitate their access, the exploitation of their structure and meaning for both humans and machines. Semantic digital libraries require database management systems for the handling of structured data, taking into consideration the models used to represent semantics. To foster the realization of the semantic digital library, metadata models, ontology models, and query languages have been combined to realize digital library services.
However, technologies for semantic digital libraries such as database engines, RDF data store, topic maps servers, SPARQL queries, and RDFS/OWL ontologies and folksonomies often appear to be immature. Solid semantic management layer concepts, architectures, and tools are important to everyone in the semantic digital library ecosystem, and creating them requires a strong community, with a critical mass of involvement. This special issue focuses on two main issues:
* the evolution of semantic digital libraries as a knowledge environment with digital library services and
* semantic digital libraries for improving user experiences.
The goal of the special issue is to bring out the best practices, current research and promising trends in the semantic digital library.
Papers may address issues along general themes, which include but are not limited to the following:
* Semantic digital library information visualisation
* Multilingual multimedia content management
* Search, retrieval and browsing interfaces to all forms of multilingual digital content
* Managing collaborative semantic digital library collections
* Cultural heritage semantic preservation
* Natural interaction of users with the semantic digital library
* Case studies of user needs and behaviours, and user experiences
* Novel semantic digital library content and use environments
* Semantic digital library open access publishing and copyright management
* Social networking and semantic digital library Systems
Manuscript due: 15 September, 2010
Notification of acceptance: 15 November, 2010
Revised paper due: 15 December, 2010
Submission of final revised paper: 30 December, 2010