Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution
Oral History Management
The Archives of American Art at the Smithsonian Institution seeks a graduate level intern to work with their retrospective oral history collection. The Archives of American Art (AAA) recently received a prestigious Save America's Treasures matching grant of $250,000 for the preservation and digitization of the Archives’ Oral History Collection. The purpose of this position is to support the preservation and digitization efforts occurring with this project.
The Archives’ Oral History Program began in 1958. The interviews include American artists, scholars, critics, collectors, dealers, supporters and others involved in American art. Today, our recordings make up the world’s largest collection of oral histories on the subject of art, allowing scholars to learn about the art world directly from the words of our nation’s most distinguished artists.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Organizing materials sent to, and returned from, our digitization vendor
• Scanning original tape boxes
• Rehousing original materials for offsite storage
• Auditing oral history transcripts
• Identifying sound clips from transcripts to be used on the AAA Website
• Encoding oral history transcripts for AAA's Website
Time Commitment: 20- 40 hours per week for approximately 10 weeks. Can begin immediately.
• Previous library or archival experience preferred
• Audio materials handling (or an interest in learning about audio handling) a strong plus
• Interest in oral histories and oral history management
• Detail oriented
• Ability to work independently
Application deadline for the Fall/Winter internship is September 2, 2011.
This internship is unpaid, but interns may receive course credit.
Internship applications must be submitted through the Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment System (https://solaa.si.edu). Applicants will be required to upload the following materials:
• Cover letter
• Résumé detailing your experience, career interests, and internship goals
• Unofficial academic transcript
• Names and email addresses of those who will provide letter of references
For further information please contact Jennifer Snyder at email@example.com