Position: Archives/Library Assistant
Starting date: July 2011 (date negotiable)
Duration: 6 months
The Bennington Museum’s archival and rare book collections reflect the
museum’s focus on Vermont and Bennington area history and culture.
The collection includes local business papers, family collections,
documents related to local artists and military papers relating to the
Battle of Bennington, Vermont militia and local men and women who
served in the armed forces. Although the museum has been collecting
archival material since its creation in 1928, it has never had a
professional archivist on staff. Many pieces and collections are
cataloged as objects, and many are not cataloged at all. The Archives
Assistant will assist in an ongoing appraisal and processing project
of the museum’s archival collections. In addition they will also
spend time working with the museum’s Librarian inventorying and
cataloging rare books, including exceedingly rare Vermont imprints.
JOB DESCRIPTION & DUTIES:
Working closely with the Collections Manager and Librarian, the
Archives/Library Assistant will catalog the museum’s archival and rare
book collections in keeping with the professional principles of
provenance and in accordance with accepted professional standards.
· Arrange and describe archival collections and create basic catalog
records at the collection level using PastPerfect Museum Software
· Catalog rare books from the museum library collection, copy
cataloging as much as is possible and importing MARC records into
PastPerfect Museum Software
· Research donor and accession records when necessary to match up
unlabeled papers with their correct accession number
· Implement minimal preventative conservation measures and identify
materials needing professional conservation or extensive rehousing
· Identify significant archival collections for future full processing
· Knowledge of archival best practices standards
· Extremely organized and detailed, consistent and reliable
· Proficient computer skills.
· Familiarity with history of the Northeastern United States, with a
working knowledge of Vermont history and Bennington preferred
· Good communication skills
· Strong research and analytical skills
Preference given to students currently enrolled in, or who have
recently completed, a graduate degree program.
Please send cover letter, resume and two references to the address
below by March 25, 2011. Please call or email with any questions.
75 Main St.
Bennington, VT 05201
(802) 447-1571 ext. 214