Library Instruction West 2014: Open, Sustainable Instruction
The Library Instruction West 2014 Program Committee invites you to submit a proposal for a presentation at our conference, to be held on the campus of Portland State University (PSU) in Portland, Oregon from July 23-25, 2014.
Library Instruction West is the new name for the popular LOEX of the West conference. The new name reflects the mission of the conference and reflects our regional spirit; it also distinguishes this conference from the national LOEX organization and conference (with which we were never affiliated).
The Library Instruction West 2014 theme is “Open, Sustainable Instruction.” We are excited to highlight Portland’s reputation for green living and PSU’s emphasis on sustainability as a core value and research focus. At the same time, we have much to learn from each other about creating effective, long-lasting library instruction programs that are truly sustainable. Ideas for possible sessions include:
- Scalability: How can a program grow when resources don’t?
- Lo-fi: Sharing ideas about engaging students without fancy gadgets
- Care & feeding of your inner teacher: Pedagogical approaches that keep us excited
- Collaboration: Partnerships that grow beyond individual relationships and individual campuses
- Online presence: Balancing potential with planning
- Renewable resource: Diversity in the library ecosystem
- Sustaining and renewing programs in changing academic environments
Our session formats are simple and, we hope, allow for creativity. There are two options for session length, 15 minutes and 45 minutes. The 15 minute sessions will be like a longer lightning talk, with roughly 10 minutes of presenting and 5 minutes for questions. Bring your energy! The format is flexible for the 45 minute sessions, and you are welcome to experiment with format or go with something more traditional like a panel, workshop, or presentation. All proposals will be blind reviewed.
The deadline for submitting your session proposal is 5:00 pm PST, Friday, November 15, 2013.
For your proposal, please submit two session descriptions:
1. A short abstract of 150 words or less. If your proposal is accepted, we will use this abstract for the conference program. The review committee will not see these abstracts, so they can include identifying information.
2. A longer session description of 500 words or less. The Program Committee will review this description for selection purposes. This description must not include any identifying information about the institution or presenters to ensure a blind review.
The submission form is available here: http://bit.ly/LIW2014
Session proposals will be scored on these criteria:
- Clarity of goals or objectives for session
- Originality, creativity, or innovation in content and/or presentation
- Timeliness/relevance of content
- Connection to conference theme, “Open, Sustainable Instruction”
November 15, 2013: Deadline for proposal submission
January 20, 2014: Acceptance notifications sent via email
February 21, 2014: Session confirmations due
July 23 - 25, 2014: Library Instruction West in Portland, Oregon
We are pleased to continue a successful relationship with Reference Services Review. Presenters are encouraged to submit a paper based on their presentation for inclusion in a special issue of RSR. Selected papers will be published, subject to double blind peer review, in 2015. Information about the journal is available on their website: http://bit.ly/1buhSdX
Contact information for questions:
Questions about submitting a proposal?
Sara Thompson, Chair, Program Committee
Oregon State University - Cascades
General questions about the conference?
Joan Petit, Conference Chair
Portland State University