Carroll Preston Baber research grant call for proposals
Do you have a project that is just waiting for the right funding? Are you thinking about ways that libraries can improve services to users?
The American Library Association (ALA) gives an annual grant for those conducting research that will lead to the improvement of services to users. The Carroll Preston Baber Research Grant is given to one or more librarians or library educators who will conduct innovative research that could lead to an improvement in services to any specified group of people.
The grant, up to $3,000, will be given to a proposed project that aims to answer a question of vital importance to the library community that is national in scope. Among the review panel criteria are:
1) The research problem is clearly defined, with a specific question or questions that can be answered by collecting data.
2) The applicant(s) clearly describe a strategy for data collection whose methods are appropriate to the research question(s). A review of the literature, methodologies, etc. is not considered research (e.g., methodology review rather than application of a methodology) for purposes of the award, except where the literature review is the primary method of collecting data.
3) The research question focuses on benefits to library users and should be applied and have practical value as opposed to theoretical.
4) The applicant(s) demonstrate ability to undertake and successfully complete the project.
5) The application provides evidence that sufficient time and resources have been allocated to the effort. Appropriate institutional commitment to the project has been secured.
Any ALA member may apply, and the Jury would welcome projects that involve both a practicing librarian and a researcher. Deadline is December 12, 2011.
Check out this web site to find procedures and an application form:
Questions? Contact Randy Call, firstname.lastname@example.org
J. Randolph Call
Assistant Director for Technical Services
Detroit Public Library
5201 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, MI 48202