The Society of Southwest Archivists & the Southern Archives Conference are holding a joint annual meeting in the Crescent City May 27-31, 2014.
The Program Committee is currently soliciting conference sessions proposals with the deadline of November 27, 2013.
The form for submissions is available here: http://southwestarchivists.
This year's conference theme is "Casting a Wide Net," and we are eager for session presentations on a wide range of topics. Some suggested session themes are:
· Museum archives
· Oral History collections
· Film archives/collections
· Public History programs
· Archival Educators
· Records Management
· Religious archives/collections
· Small historical societies
· Appraisers / agents / sellers
· Intellectual property issues
· Facilities / buildings / shelving [moving collections; space management]
· County records
· Military archives/collections
We welcome traditional conference sessions consisting of 3 presenters + a chair to moderate, as well as more informal panel discussions.
And this year we are hoping to try something new and have a "boot camp" thread throughout the conference. These sessions would be led by one or two presenters and would provide a more in-depth focus on a particular topic. The idea is to provide a "how to" type experience for attendees that includes issues, trends, and tips. Suggested themes for these sessions include:
· Recruiting & training volunteers
· Strategic planning
· Mobile archives
· Crowd-funding and other trends in development
· Disaster planning
· Archives job hunt
· Exhibition planning
· Succession planning in archives
· Marketing & branding
· Publishing in the archives field
· Friends groups & advisory boards
We hope that you will consider submitting a session proposal on one of these, or other, topics.